What is a dental crown?
A dental crown is a tooth shaped cap that is placed over a damaged tooth to provide it protection.
When is a crown needed and its benefits?
- To restore and protect a large cavity.
- To bring back natural shape of tooth and function of chewing and smiling.
- Help maintain the essential spacing needed so that adult teeth can come properly
- To prevent reinfection.
What is the crown procedure for children?
- Placed in a single visit and pain free
- Tooth is shaped to prepare it for the crown
- The crown is tried in to check the fit.
- When everything is correct the crown is cemented into place.
How long will the dental crown provide the protection?
- Dental crowns on a baby teeth are designed to protect the teeth until the adult teeth arrive naturally.
- The crown falls with the milk tooth naturally.
Steel versus tooth coloured crowns
- Tooth coloured crowns (Zirconia crowns) are natural appearing and esthetic.
- They are as strong as steel